A travel blog by a Ugandan female, from the world.
Tips & Inspiration, Touring The Pearl Of Africa

“Five things you need to know about camping in the wild”

On my recent Lake Mburo trip, I was presented the opportunity to camp and spend the night in a tent for the very first time. I’ve always loved the luxury of staying in a comfortable and cozy hotel room when traveling so this was an experience completely out of my comfort zone – literally.

As usual, I looked out for the lessons that I could take away from this experience and what I could share with you about camping. More so, camping in the wild.

One. Wild animals might approach your tent – this is true however, you should not be afraid. Most likely, if you’re camping at a designated campsite, there will be other people around you including trained security guards. In our case, a warthog approached our campsite in the late evening and thankfully, the very helpful guards helped steer it away. I also learnt that most animals will not attack you unless they feel threatened. Do some research about the area where you will be camping before your trip.

Two. Do not underestimate the weather – pack for every possible scenario. Most likely, if you are in the wild, it will be cold at night. Warm blankets, sweaters and a raincoat will save your life.

Three. Two is company – I’m glad I had my friend Mercy along for this trip. It is comforting to have someone to share the tent and the experience with not to mention it makes for a warmer tent. Being partnered was an absolute delight for me.

Four. Remember your light – light is so vital. Pitch your tent close to the campfire if there is one. Make sure you have your torches, phone flashlight and a power bank. Not only will these things be very useful to you for the obvious reasons but a bright flashlight is also what was used to steer away that friendly warthog I mentioned above.

Five. It is not bad at all – I have no bad memories of the experience whatsoever and I would do it again. Camping can be so much fun if for no other reason than for fact that it is simply different from the norm. Have fun with it and build some memories.

Have you been camping before? What was your experience? Any tips? I can’t wait to hear from you in the reply section below. Xx.

12 COMMENTS
  • Latifa

12 months ago

Hahaha I absolutely love the experience above…I bet u even tried to sleep..lol

I have been camping before at the highest mountain in Uae and it was a wonderful experience.

• khukyenda

AUTHOR

Haha! Lovely! Thanks for sharing Latifa 🙂 It really is awesome, right? Camping on a mountain must be something else…kudos to you! Xx.

• Cheryl

12 months ago

Which mountain is this Latifa? This could be a fun first experience for me too

• UgBloc

12 months ago

Thanks for these great tips!

You’re right, it’s not as bad as people think it will be. The tents being waterproof and (creeping animal proof) it’s basically an okay way to sleep.

I’ve enjoyed my camping experiences so far. The starry sky, the food, fire etc.

• Ugbloc

12 months ago

Thanks for these great tips!

I’ve enjoyed my camping experiences so far. The starry sky, the food, fire etc.

• khukyenda

AUTHOR

Thanks for sharing! 🙂 It really isn’t bad at all not to mention lots of fun! Glad you’ve enjoyed camping too. Xx.

• Lee

12 months ago

Thanks for the tips…it is indeed important to find out about the animals or other dangers….reminds me of how we camped out and the ladies were not told about hyenas and how to deal with them….all night long you could hear shouts of help help whenever they walked around alone and encountered a hyena….yet the solution on how to deal with a hyena alone was very simple…

• khukyenda

AUTHOR

Thanks Lee for sharing that. Yes, indeed….knowledge is so much power. In fact, knowledge can save your life :-D. Glad you enjoyed your camping experience and thanks again for sharing! Xx.

• Cheryl

12 months ago

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Never tried it too. Twud be good to experience it

• khukyenda

AUTHOR

Thanks for stopping by Cheryl! It’s definitely worth the experience. Hope you get to try it soon 🙂 Xx.

• edrina natukunda

12 months ago

Glad you enjoyed your camping experience, I have camped at a school (rift valley Kenya) with my whole family before, enjoyed the company, campfire and story telling session in the evening but hated the night experience. I got really cold , the duvets, heavy jackets and even cuddling couldn’t help, the cold penetrated through my skin and I started shivering. I hated the whole experience, worst scenario it rained with heavy winds, i felt like the tent was about to collapse on us, at some point we even run out for a few minutes but had to get back in because of the heavy rain, worst camping experience of my life. However if the weather was different it would have been fantastic experience.

• khukyenda

AUTHOR

Hi Edrina. Sad to hear about your camping experience! The weather really does play a huge role in it all. That’s a great tip – to check the weather beforehand and probably only plan to go camping outside the rainy season. Thanks for sharing! Xx.

what do you think?